In Kansas schools, having a pest control plan is vital to the health of students and the protection of property. It also makes life easier by addressing nuisance pests like the many species of ground beetles in Kansas that can invade man-made structures. It's hard enough getting kids to focus without adding the routine appearance of beetles in and around the classroom. Here are a few things to keep in mind as we prepare to head back to school.
5 Ways to Manage Ground Beetles
- Keep vegetation trimmed on school grounds. Tall grass is inviting to ground beetles and other pests.
- Remove organic debris from school grounds. Ground beetles use leaf piles, fallen trees, and brush piles to hide from the drying effects of the sun and, in these places, they can also find a food source.
- Remove or store away objects that block the sunlight and create areas that are dark and damp. These are perfect locations for ground beetles, spiders, cockroaches, and many other pests.
- Replace exterior white lighting with yellow, insect-resistant lighting in locations where it is not a security issue. Ground beetles are drawn to light. So are flies, swarming termites, and other serious pests threats.
- Reduce ground beetle entry points by inspecting exterior walls. Look closely around pipes, wire conduits, wall penetrations, etc. Repair damage if possible or use a caulking gun to fill holes and patch gaps until you're able to perform a proper repair. Examine foundation walls for cracks and seal them. Look for gaps in the weatherstripping around doors, and damage to door sweeps. Examine window frames and repair holes, gaps, or cracks.
The Most Effective Way to Control Ground Beetles at School
Investing in a commercial pest control plan, provided by a QualityPro Certified pest professional, is an investment in the success and well-being of your students. It also serves to protect your faculty and staff from harmful pest-related illnesses. A QualityPro Certified pest control company is one that has been audited by pest control experts from an impartial 3rd party and has been found to demonstrate excellence in many key areas such as business operations, employee training, environmental stewardship, and consumer relations. Don't settle for anything less.
If you need assistance with commercial pest control in the Greater Topeka area, the QualityPro Certified team at Pinnacle Solutions can help you create a plan that meets your specific goals, needs, and budget. We are standing by, ready to help.